Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Merry Christmas from Praha!

To our friends and family around the globe, Merry Christmas from Praha!




My mom has a rule that you are not allowed to do anything on Christmas day. Today marks the first Christmas in my entire life that I have left the house and worn real clothes (aka not pajamas). Well, it was probably worth it. We've been pretty exhausted lately - this whole tourist business is not for the weak. We've been very busy seeing castles and churches, letting Rick Steves guide us around the Czech Republic, and drinking a lot of warm beverages.











Prague has been a lovely way to spend Christmas. I was worried it would feel weird not being at home but a little change of pace is always good. Plus I decorated our hotel room with Christmas-related items courtesy of my left over Netto money. We got home Christmas Eve night after listening to Czech music on the square, lit some candles and watched the Pope like the good Catholics we are. (I kid, I kid. Except we really did because there are no english channels). Then I checked the Santa tracker and right when I looked, he was on his way to Prague. Now that's Christmas magic for ya.









 Prague really is beautiful. I can't tell you how many times my mom has compared it to Disney land. And it's true, you can hardly believe it's real! The best part is that it has been much warmer the past two days which has made the whole walking outside all of the time thing considerably more tolerable. That being said, however, our favorite phrase on this trip has become, "wow, I bet this would be really beautiful in the spring." Well, looks like I'll have to come back.




We spent Christmas Eve visiting Prague Castle, drinking hot wine, looking at pretty lights and listening to Czech Christmas songs while  pretending we knew what was going on.



 I should also probably mention that we did take an hour train ride east to visit a Bone Church. My mom told me about a million times that this was probably the weirdest thing that she's ever done with me and I'll agree...but you have to admit, it's kind of cool in a bizarre...super creepy kind of way. This chandelier includes every bone in the human body. Yeah...I know, as I'm typing this, it just sounds weirder and weirder. Then we walked around the town of Kutna Hora that is a UNESCO site and...I'm about to say this phrase again...I'm sure it would be beautiful in the spring...or summer...or fall...or any day but this past sunday which was not only freezing but raining (a truly terrible combination). We were all a bit miserable. Good thing we had an hour train ride back to nap and warm up for a delicious fancy dinner.


And what does a family of three do Christmas day in a foreign country? Well, what all the other tourists are doing: eat lots of food outside in the Christmas market and walk around forever. We went to the Jewish Quarter and memorial (nice light Christmas activities) and listened to some Vivaldi and Mozart (we're really becoming quite cultured). We're all thoroughly exhausted by this point. Definitely ready for Spain tomorrow. Not that Prague hasn't been lovely but I'm looking forward to not having to wear 3 socks and I'm not going to lie, I've had quite enough of the potato pancake and cabbage and sausage thing. Onwards to siestas and sangria. 



Not a bad way to spend Christmas. Now time for some sun. 



No comments:

Post a Comment