Tuesday, September 25, 2012

That thing called classes

I've gone about a month without talking about this thing called school. Considering this is one of the few weeks I've actually been stressed about the amount of work I have, it might be time to give a quick update!

Well, first of all, I dropped a class called Scandinavian Moods in Cinema (mostly because I realized that watching two very depressing movies a week would probably pay a toll. Especially as the sun starts setting at 3 in the afternoon).

My core class has finally started talking about Turkey which is exciting! We've been spending a lot a lot a lot of time on diversity in Denmark. Which...doesn't provide a whole lot once you've covered the basics. So I'm looking forward to a change of pace (right after I finish a paper about diversity in Denmark).

Then is the Criminology class. Funny you should ask about that because that's where I should be right now as I type this. No I didn't skip. It's been cancelled the past four classes. First she was sick and then she had a conference. I was a bit disappointed when I saw the email this morning because I want to talk about prisons! But tomorrow we're visiting an open prison which I've been reading about and it sounds kind of crazy.

If you're interested, here's a 15 minute video about the Danish prison system. So weird! http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=750962580192066201

My favorite class is definitely my history of Copenhagen course. I'm such a history nerd. Just leave me with my architectural encyclopedia, a list of dead monarchs and a map of the city and I'm a happy camper.

Oh! And how could I forget Russia! This class only meets once a week which means we've had about three classes...which is kind of crazy because we're going to Russia in a few days. But my professor is awesome, he has been the Russian translator for the royal family and is so enthusiastic and excited. A lot of people signed up for the class after finding out he was teaching it because he's that cool.

So those are my classes. Nothing too exciting to report. I'm a fan of all of my professors which is good and now back to the fun stuff:





This sunday the Green House and Culinary House took a one hour bus ride to Svanholm! It's this old estate that was bought by a bunch of hippies in the 70s and turned into a farming commune. Basically it started the organic food movement in Denmark and it's still up and running today. In fact, some of the food from our co-op comes from here.




We took a tour of a greenhouse full of tomato varieties (we all agreed it was like our version of Willy Wonka's chocolate factory) and we got to pet some cows. It was beautiful and a perfect Sunday activity. Oh! And they gave up homemade ice-cream. Tomato flavor anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment