Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The crunch of home

I've been holding out on you guys. There is one very important aspect of my life in Denmark that I've been keeping from you. It is a magical substance. It makes the user incredibly happy and comforted. This thing, you may be wondering? Peanut butter. It is almost comical how incredibly obsessed we are with peanut butter. For the Danes, peanut butter isn't a thing. For us, it's the only thing. Peanut butter all day, every day. Our Danish RA made fun of me as I cam back with another jar to add to the collection and mentioned how he had only tried it once in his life - once! Every girl on our floor has her own jar! It is not uncommon to "cheers" with our jars and spoons.




 In one of my classes, one girl whips out her jar every single day. It is pretty much a guaranteed conversation starter with other DIS students - we've discussed the struggles to find it in the grocery, a friend described her host family's curiosity as they spread it on toast, and another student bragged about the Costco size jar he brought from home out of fear they wouldn't have it here.

Look at how ridiculously American this jar of peanut butter is. 

White house, football player, empire state building, statue of liberty, they've got it all. 


p.s. Oh, by the way, I'm going to Sweden tomorrow! (One of my roommates just asked if I thought she should bring the peanut butter with her...)

No comments:

Post a Comment