Saturday, September 29, 2012

do svidaniya

Well this has been one of the few weeks I've felt the stress from classes but so glad it's over. The following pictures have nothing to do with the text!

My roommate and our shared visiting
family mom! 
Wednesday was jam-packed but amazing. I woke up at 6:45 to go to an open prison. I don't even know how to describe it, it was a bizarre experience. It looks more like a dorm than a prison. There is a communal kitchen on every hall where inmates make their own food with massive knives available for use, no uniforms and only in a small section are people paired with roommates. We got to go into one of the rooms and I found myself saying "I would kill for this much space to myself"...then realized someone may have done just that. It's a sad day when you're jealous of prisoners and their singles. The Danish concept of prison is completely different, it's not about retribution but rehabilitation.

One of my roommates has been
procrastinating by making amazing
breads...I'm not complaining.
After our return to the city, I had another field study for my History of CPH class. We toured military fortifications for 2 hours...in the rain. But what made it all worth it was a private tour of one of the Amalienborg palace mansions. The tour guide was awesome and really into it which makes it even better (plus the British accent definitely helps too). By now it is 4:30 and I walk home, eat a quick dinner, and went back to DIS where for three hours I had a Russia orientation/crash course.
Picture from the Fun. concert I went to!
They sounded great live!

Crazy week with events and classes and tests (did I mention I had a Russian test and a Danish test on the same day...yeah, for the girl who sucks at languages and took Latin. How did I let this happen). But it's over! I picked up my passport and got my visa! And got some Russian currency today! Now all I have to do is pack and get ready to be at the airport at 6:30am.


Do svidaniya Copenhagen! I'll see you in a week!

Oh! And here's what my name looks like in Russian: МОЛЛИ ЭЛИЗАБЕТ РЕКА  (cool!)

1 comment: