Wednesday, May 29, 2013

This is not Stop & Shop

Last night I went to the market with Rakhal for the first time. Wow. It was quite the experience. 

We loaded into the car and made our way to the first stop. Here's where we bought our vegetables. (Rakhal had people to carry it back to the car). Rakhal kept saying "come come" as we scurried from stop to stop. This whole area smelled distinctly of fish. Right next to the vegetables sat a man chopping heads off of very large fish so that explains it. 

Goat head anyone? (Though all they give us here is chicken. Chicken on chicken on chicken).


Which brings me to the next stop. After another 10 minute drive through dark windy streets and a whole lot of people, we made it to another market. (I don't really understand what was wrong with the chickens at the other place but we came here next.)

Ben had gone with Rakhal before and had warned me that you see the chickens die. Apparently the sound is the worst part, he said. I was still completely unprepared. We walked through a small alley and I am not kidding when I say a rat ran past right in front of this chicken coop. 


The man picks the three chickens...ties them together and weighs them. Then see that box to the right? That little box of death. He puts them in there. And that's when I walked away. Rakhal told me to "come come" because he doesn't like watching it either.


I watched Kenneth and Ben watch the chickens...and their final demise. 


After that fairly traumatic experience we got our eggs. 


Then followed Rakhal down the narrow streets to his preferred fruit guy where he bought some lychees and mangos. 


Then another walk in the rain to his rice and noodle guy.


Rakhal then returned to get our fresh chickens and we drove home. Only four of us went to the market and though we were late for dinner, there were still plenty of leftovers for us. Yup....you guessed it...chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment