Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Taj MahHEYYY

Our last day in Delhi was dedicated to the Taj Mahal and it seemed to deserve a post for itself. I cannot believe I saw one of the wonders of the world! It was about a 4 hour drive, we left or hostel at 7 (sadly too early to get breakfast) and began our journey. We've been traveling around Delhi in two separate cars and in the first leg of the trip I was with the sing-a-long crew (which we all know I do love) but then for the second leg I switched to Shreya's car (the anthropology major in me couldn't bare to think I was missing out on the opportunity to ask so many questions!)


A brand new highway made the ride very easy and we even had convenient pit stops along the way. Vegetables and fruit is very rare on this trip so when Rakhal promised us fruit we were all very excited but we settled for some delicious mango juice instead. He also got us plain lays potato chips (you know, a typical Indian breakfast). Keep this food (or lack there of) in mind as I begin to explain the heat and crowds and lines of the Taj Mahal. This is all we had until 2 in the afternoon which really made the experience all the more memorable.


Well we drove to Agra and started to see the India you think about. Cows on the street, dogs, a few camels, an elephant in a distant field, some horses, a peacock on the side of the road, bumper to bumper traffic with some truly crazy horns, beautiful bright clothing, and a few goats.



This cows just walking by himself. That's a thing that happens.


We waited quite a while to finally enter the Taj. Definitely the "pit" of the day was having to say no to all of the children panhandlers. After a while we finally made it in - at this point our clothes are already thoroughly soaked with sweat and to be honest I don't think I would have made it very far if not for the adrenaline of seeing the TAJ MAHAL which really kept me going. 





These kids were really hamming it up
for us as we waited for our group to get
through security.


It was SO COOL. I was in my glory. Shreya has seen it so many times she said it was like seeing an old friend which was lovely. I love the tragic history of it all too.  I could have, however, skipped seeing the tombs inside: 0 lines, all pushing, so many people and the air was thick with sweat and heat and people. After that experience and the fact that everyone was very close to fainting we were all ready for a break. Though as we were walking away I kept glancing back at the Taj. The weird thing about the heat is that you don't feel hungry...and then you feel like you might pass out. 
My attempt to capture the chaos inside
the tomb area. 
Walking right outside of the Taj Mahal to the crowded streets of Agra.
Some of our group with Shreya in front
of the the Taj!

The doorman at the
restauraunt
Well tragically (I say that sarcastically) the fort we were going to visit was closed that day so we drove to a dusty driveway and walked in a building only to discover a beautiful gourmet Indian restaurant.  Can't say any of us were too disappointed.

We didn't eat here. 
We left happy satisfied and tired. During the ride back Shreya and I were the only ones awake and we talked the whole time. As I passed goats in tourist busses and women making noodles on the hot cement and people herding cows in the river, I began to think how incredibly different we are and how different our lives are. But as Shreya and I start talking about our families and school and friends and common fears of the future and you realize we're really not that different. Corny realizations I know but it had to be said. I had a lovely day and I gladly welcome my shower by the end of it. And I was so happy I got to know Shreya! I hope we see her again!

We drove back to the crowded streets of Delhi right as the sun was setting over the hazy city. It was definitely an experience but I can't say I'm too disappointed to be flying up to the mountains and to some cooler weather.




No comments:

Post a Comment