Tuesday, May 21, 2013

My Passage to India



I don't think a single day has gone by without me thinking "wow. I'm in India." First impressions? Hot, crowded, and "please let me not die in this crazy insane Delhi traffic." We've spent 3 nights in our YMCA hostel in Delhi.


My "hell yes I'm in India" outfit








Our first day was officially labeled a day of "rest and recovery" from the travel day and 9.5 hour time difference was instead a full day of sightseeing: ancient ruins, Hamayans tomb, the Red Fort and the Lotus Temple. This is my "hell yes im in india outfit." They were all really cool and beautiful But by the time we got to our last destination it was the peak heat and we were all very ready for lunch! 


  


Our fearless guide has been super careful about the food we eat (don't know if you've heard of the term "Delhi belly" but we tried hard to avoid that). There's about 4 people out of the 7 of us who hate spicy food. You should all be impressed when I tell you I am a proud member of the spicy food club. Hey, gotta get the full experience right?


Along with saving us from Delhi Belly, our guide also likes to keep our days plan a bit of a mystery. So we ended the day by visiting a representative of Indian Fulbright scholarships which was an interesting surprise. I've gotten very used to having absolutely no idea what's going on or what will happen next. 


The group as a tourist attraction
General Impressions:
No road rules, stray dogs everywhere, a surprising amount of green space, a bumpy rickshaw ride with  glimpses of old Delhi and soooo many people and Shops. Lots of bottled water. Lots of sweating, lots of people. Oh, and we are a tourist attraction ourselves. Everywhere we went people wanted our picture. With my crazy height and pale skin next to Jo and her pink hair, we were quite the sight. 




The second day in Delhi was a day just for shopping. I've mentioned this before but I do love me some good bargaining. My goal on this trip thus far has been to become the ultimate anthropology major. Jo is quite proud of me. I bought these crazy cool parachute pants (can't wait to hop off the plane in those babies), I have some cool Indian tops and most representative of the new and improved travel the world Molly is my beautiful unlined journal. It's so cute I love it. Because India Molly can handle writing without lines. Apparently India Molly also gets henna because she's cool like that. 






On this shopping day we met a first year college student from Delhi named Shreya. She was great and helped us with our shopping and bargaining. We then had dinner at her house that night. We met her mom and sister (who has just come home from a birthday party at a Chinese restaurant), and we met their two beautiful golden retrievers: Goldy and Mulan. They were so nice and kind to us!


More pictures and stories to come!



 







No comments:

Post a Comment