Saturday, August 25, 2012

The "wow I live in Europe" realization

Orientation is FINALLY over. Thank god. The activities were fun and it was definitely important in getting to know the city and other DIS kids but it's exhausting. The last day we did a food scavenger hunt where different groups went to different destinations to find out prices/student discounts and stuff.

Classes have officially begun. I'm taking 5 classes: Migration and Social Capital (my core course, we're going to Turkey in late October!), The Impact of Plants on World History (I can't even type that without laughing), Danish Language and Culture (this might be impossible), Criminology in Scandinavia (I'm excited about this!), and Russia Past and Present (This was an optional class and I get to go to Russia for a week in November, woo!)

So we're finally real people living in a city and it's been pretty overwhelming. I think the biggest transition for me is just getting used to living in a city (Weston and Wooster haven't really prepared me). But, I went on a "run" (in quotes because I was pretty much walking and taking pictures with my iphone the entire time) and explored the city on my own. THIS was the "holy crap, I'm living in Copenhagen" realization and it was great. The combination between the beautiful scenery and the endorphins made for a great hour or so.

Here are some pictures from that run/walk/epiphany

Copenhagen has five man-made "lakes" that  separate the medieval part of the city of the outer neighborhoods

 Even the post offices are awesome.              



Rosenborg Castle. Every run should end with a jaunt by a 400 year old castle. 

Something leaked and there was mist that made it impossible to see 2 feet in front of you.  I joined the crowd in whipping out the iphone and snapping some pics. 

And of course, a hard days work is rewarded by a great salad and a classy glass of wine. Good day. Cheers!

3 comments:

  1. Wow... loved reading about your adventure!! Looks beautiful...sounds like you are really making great use of a wonderful opportunity!
    Rosemarie

    ReplyDelete