Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Update: It's dark

Hello friends and family around the world. Here's an update from Copenhagen: it's dark. It starts to get dark around 3:30...dark by 4. By 7, you're ready for bed. And it's only getting worse. Luckily, the Danes know how to deal with the darkness: lights, pastries, and plenty of hyggeness. So here are some pictures from the past week in Copenhagen. I'm done with travel (until my parents arrive that is), and I'm embracing my adorable, dark (and often rainy) city. Get ready for a very picture-heavy post!



Christmas market flea market in Norrebro. And on the right, an adorable child in his snowsuit. It's the best thing ever to see a line of school children waddling in their snow suits. Maybe it's just me but everything in Copenhagen is extra adorable. 


So I've had trouble explaining Copenhagen to people who don't live here but I told someone the other day something that I'm going to continue using: Copenhagen is a city pinterest exploded on. If you haven't heard of pinterest, it's a website for fashion, home interior, design, recipes, crafts, etc. Here is the perfect example. It's a porridge bar (what kind of place only sells porridge, that's crazy!) and it's the coolest place ever...and super hipster and awesome.


Tivoli during Christmas is beautiful! And this year's theme? Russia! I was so excited. Here is a picture of me, in Tivoli Russian Christmas, with a hot cup of Glogg (a delicious Scandinavian mulled wine kind of drink), in heaven...and then is started raining. But it was okay because I had four socks, two gloves, two sweaters and two pants on....I wish I was kidding. If there's anything my mom has taught me, it is that being cold is the worst thing ever. 

This past weekend, the Greenhouse took a bus west to visit the Land of Legends - an archaeological open-air museum with sites from the Stone Age, Iron Age and vikings. I also got to make beeswax candles, and eat homemade candy...and laugh as Grace shared special connections with goats. Oh, and the picture to the left is a sacrificial bog! They found a preserved 2000 year old body there, rope still intact! (Cool!) 



On Sunday, Arielle and I visited our Visiting Family and together we drove to Roskilde to see the Cathedral. It is one of Denmark's three UNESCO sites and is the church were all of the Danish monarchy is buried. It was really cool and it was nice to spend the day with our Danish parents. 




Arielle and I got back Sunday night in time to make plenty of cookies for our event on Monday. Four of us hosted a "conversation cafe" event to talk about upcycling and make upcycled things. There's a very fine line between being sustainable and being incredibly cheap...sometimes I'm not quite sure what side of the line we tend to fall on. But some of people's crafts were actually really impressive and all of those tin cans, jars and ripped jeans we had been saving turned into cute Christmas crafts. (Though there's a reason none of mine will be featured in this blog post.)



I had to wake up early today to bike on over to Amager to check out some new developments with my history of Copenhagen class (clearly we're nearing the end of the course if this is what we're talking about now). I was the only one who biked because I don't have a transportation pass like most DIS students (again, running that line between cheap and green). The whole biking thing is fun and all but when it's raining and cold at 8:30 in the morning, it becomes much less fun. 

That being said, I love the city so much when I bike, it's just the whole getting on the bike thing that's hard. Last night, though, a group of us Greenhousers biked to Norrebro to a non-profit bar that was hosting an event . There was food and a speaker who owns an urban art gallery around the corner. Then we biked to Christiania where there was a really weird "Science and Cocktail" night in a converted warehouse. All of the bartenders were dressed up in science coats and the drinks were literally smoking and looked like science experiments gone wrong. They got a professor from the University of Copenhagen to lecture for an hour about biosemiotics. A lot of it was way over head but it was cool. We were all proud of ourselves for leaving the warmth and coziness of our house and it was worth it.


 This picture really has no purpose other than to brag that this is how I walk to the grocery store...awesome...I know. So between hipster porridge bars, cool modern architecture, sacrificial bogs, Russian Tivoli and Christmas lights, I'm already getting nostalgic about leaving this country. 




No comments:

Post a Comment