Friday, November 23, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving from across the pond!


Copenhagen is already in full on Christmas mode,,
something I very much appreciate. So many
Christmas markets!


How to celebrate a holiday that is not recognized at all? Well, we had not one but TWO Thanksgivings. The first was Wednesday night for the entire Greenhouse. Liz, our honorary vegan, also happened to be the kitchen captain of the night and our Thanksgiving dinner number one was completely vegan. For those who are skeptical, however, it was delicious. We had all the traditional dishes - stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, and all things good in the world. It was so great to celebrate with the entire Greenhouse. Both kitchens were in full swing. I make a great chopper and table setter. Basically as long as you don't trust me to do anything important in the kitchen, I will always be there to help. We had a huge budget for the night and we all went around and said what we were thankful for - which for everyone was the opportunity to live with such a great group of people.

Here are pictures from our Wednesday Thanksgiving!


See! I can chop things along with the best of them. Notice, by the way, the Danish flag Christmas decorations in the background. 



The second night we went just as hard with the whole cooking extravaganza. It was just our floor but I think everyone was feeling the pressure to make Thanksgiving as traditional as possible. My roommates cooked dishes that were important to them - Meghan and her Zucchini casserole, Grace and her candied yams, Lily and her bean soup (once again....I was there to help). It was delicious.



It was very "hygge" in our house. We had candles and food and Christmas music playing in the background. It was adorable. It was also our Danish SRA's first Thanksgiving. He laughed as we stuffed ourselves until we couldn't eat anymore and then compared food babies. But that's Thanksgiving! I was eavesdropping on people in my class talk about their Thanksgivings (or lack thereof) - and I feel so lucky to live in a house and have an awesome community around me all the time!



No comments:

Post a Comment