Saturday, July 12, 2014

Thanking the weather gods.

I have been throughout this trip not so subtly telling Maria that I really really really wanted to see the castle south of munich that inspired disney. It's called Neuschwanstein castle ahd the pictures looked gorgeous. 

When I saw the 65 degree high and 90% chance of rain next to a rain cloud symbol I was not optimistic. But we made the 2 hour train ride (again, Rick Steves helping us along the way). Rick also suggested we reserve a ticket the day before which saved us from waiting in a huge line. He's great isn't he? Well the forecast looked accurate.  It was a big cloudy and wet and rainy. We walked to 30 minutes up the hill and I was happy to have brought my umbrella.  




BUT the sun started to poke through and as soon as we got to a beautiful lookout point the sun shone on the castle and the surrounding countryside. I was so excited. Look at that! That's the castle that inspired disney. So freaking cool. 


The inside of the castle was incredible too. Not your average cold castle cause the kind was kind of an eccentric guy so even our short little 30 min guided your was well worth it. And of course you exit through not one but two gift shops on the way out so maybe disney was inspired by that too. But overall, SO worth the trip. Thank you weather gods. I'm sure we'll have a beer in your honor soon. 



Plus it's always nice to have a long nap on these trains. As always I'm like a small child and pass out as soon as I'm on a moving vehicle. But from the short moments I was awake it was a lovely ride through the Bavarian countryside. 




No comments:

Post a Comment