Wednesday, October 17, 2012

You just can't BEET this!



It's getting colder so you know what that means: root vegetable time! In an attempt to be slightly sustainable but mostly just incredible cheap, I bought this giant bag of beets for only 9kr! Yeah, crazy, I know. It was definitely one of those impulsive Netto purchases...like sweet jarred cabbage or mint popsicles. But unlike some others, this one was a success...well if you count having beets with every meal a success. Yes, you read that right. This week has been beets on beets on beets. 


Only 9kr! How could I not? Also, how funky are these long skinny beets?!



Beets and beans? Who doesn't love some alliteration? And with a side of Beet chips? Yes please.


   
Beets as soup garnish? Why not?
DISCLAIMER: I didn't make either of these soups, my roommates were just kind enough to share. I can  however, garnish the hell out of anything.

Sure! I can cook oranges and beets together. That's normal right?


Beets in an egg scramble? Okay!

"Hey Molly, what's been in the oven for more than an hour?" "Oh ya know, just some more beets"


I've basically become the crazy beet lady in the house and I kind of love it. Looking up beet recipes and tips has become one of my favorite means of procrastination. Plus I am nothing if not a fan of bizarre food combinations and beets are a perfect opportunity to test this out. My next project will be a nice nod to Russia with some beet soup. Also, get excited, because I've been researching pickled beets. 

2 comments:

  1. Funny, this summer at a party in Vermont, I grabbed a cup of borscht thinking it was a cool alcoholic smoothie. Much to my surprise, it was not. At all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds wonderful. I just made myself a nice cup of beet soup :)

    ReplyDelete